Monday, May 16, 2011

Why I Didn't Venture to the Bronx

I've never watched the Yankees/Red Sox game in person. I've managed to see a World Series game, play off games, Josh Hamilton's home run derby, a Triple Play, Jeff Reardon set a saves record (I was young, it was a big deal at the time!) and about a million arbitrary baseball events including a drunken Bachelor party apologizing to my mother for their misbehaviors by buying my brother and I hot dogs for three innings.

Yankee v Red Sox in person though? Nope, never have seen it in person. Part of it being that the thought of buying tickets to Yankee Stadium and somehow contributing to the Hatfields against my McCoy's would be a universal insult. Or at least bad kharma. When I lived in Massachusetts there was no such thing as StubHub to buy the so-called golden ticket.

Though I have always prepared for the possibility of the all mighty free ticket. Free tickets are a strange, powerful, mysterious creatures. You never know where one will appear or under what circumstances - though you must always be prepared to act quickly. The most powerful free ticket I ever received was 2007 ALCS Boston v Cleveland - right field porch Red Sox owner Tom Werner's seats*

I am so prepared on the possibility that I went with Yankee fans to CitiField last year to see the proper way to behave without being killed in "enemy" territory. Quiet and with respect. Which really does make life a lot better.

Which brings me to this past Sunday.

Being married to me at this point Danielle certainly knows what I am most likely to do in a given situation. She spent Sunday helping her friend Kim register for baby stuff. Her friend Kim who offered Danielle two free tickets to the Red Sox v Yankees game!

So why is this blog entitled "Why I Didn't Venture to the Bronx" instead of "My First Yankees v Red Sox game in person!"

Danielle told me this information just after we finished putting Sienna to bed. When we were figuring out how late we were planning to stay up to watch the Red Sox/Yankees game (new parents exhibit this sort of behavior). Which is really the point, I suppose.

My wife, smartly, knew that I'd wanted to go to the game yet I would NOT have liked getting home at 2 AM on a Sunday night. Or possibly later based on twitter. Most likely complaining about the price of food. Definitely having a couple of over priced beers in my belly and most definitely with my acid reflux acting up. I would not have been able to spend so much of my Sunday afternoon with her (approximate travel time from Brooklyn to Bronx on a Sunday is 8 million hours) and really, she knew I would have thought about the glories of the game v the glories of time with Sienna and Sienna ultimately winning**

Which is what happened. I watched the game with Danielle, and I suppose Sienna. Well I'm not sure if her baby monitor turned toward the TV counts as watching it. She is young and it was past her bed time.

At some point I will take Sienna to see the game - that is if Sienna even likes baseball. Though it'll probably be more meaningful for her if she is a Mets fan.

Which I hope she likes baseball, otherwise I would have risked the night out. I mean really, what a great game.

Wayne

* This is also my ONLY baseball regret. Tom Werner let me try on his world series ring & I DID NOT take a picture. I am the dumbest motherf*cker ever. The other part of the regret is I did not immediately start pitching him TV series.

** Ask me to make this same decision when Sienna is a teenager and talking back and you are probably getting a different answer

No comments:

Post a Comment