Friday, July 29, 2011

Accidental Carolina Style

Leave to Sienna to help get my pulled pork recipe correct.

I've been experimenting with various Pulled Pork recipes in my crockpot for oh, the last two years and FINALLY I managed to experiment my way into a little tasty bit. It ends up wet, tasty, and more toward a tangy Carolina style.

What happened was I had pork butt in the fridge that I was going to cook overnight. Probably. Sienna had to visit the Doctor, so I worked from home. I ended up dropping her off at day care around noon and upon coming home I figured I'd throw the pork into the crockpot.

I wasn't paying attention to the time or I would have notice that five hours from putting the food into the pot would put me right into the middle of picking up Sienna from day care. After five hours in the pot I had to do a SUPER FAST shread, adding of BBQ and rushing off to pick her up.
Naturally it worked out perfectly. Happy accidents. Here is the recipe.


  • 5 pounds of pork butt (I prefer the fattiness of a pork butt to the tenderness of the pork shoulder)

  • 4 cups of apple cider vinegar

  • 2 cups of red wine vinegar

  • 1 white onion sliced (in retrospect I'd go with 2

  • 16 ounces bottle of bbq sauce - I used mesquite, though you can go with whatever you flavor preference happens to be


  1. Throw it all the crock pot, 5 hours on low

  2. Drain 99.5% of the liquid and LEAVE the onions in

  3. Shred, removing most of the fat as you go along

  4. Add sauce and stir it up

  5. One hour on high
    Tasty.
Anything longer on the low cooking dries out the flavor more than I like. Danielle and I ate it with some mac & cheese and we were happy. Sienna will give her own trial and error someday and in MORE news - we get her high chair this weekend and she will now be able to watch us cook.

Very excited.

Now she knows where the recipe came from.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment