Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sienna and the Ritual

Danielle often asks me why Sienna and I hang on the couch together. Several times she has come home or into the room to find myself under the giant white blanket while Sienna giggles madly as she plays with her toys or uses me as a climbing device. Several times Danielle has been shocked as Sienna orders me onto the couch and then last night. I'm not sure Danielle fully understood when I said, "Sienna and I have our little ritual."

Last night I introduced Danielle to one of Sienna and my rituals. The ritual is fairly straightforward. Sienna climbs onto our double-wide couch, says "white blanket" or "confter" - which I then fetch - then Sienna order, "Baby--other baby--spot--monkey" All items which I retrieve. I then take away one of the four giant pillows on the couch, creating an even wider space to play in.

I crawl under the blanket, Sienna lines up her stuffed animals to watch, and then we color. I should say Sienna scribbles away with laser-like focus for 10 minutes. At which point she tosses her coloring book on the floor, climbs UNDER the blanket, throws in, "Daddy! Come!" at which time I join her under the blanket to play a massive game of peek-a-boo, tell stories, or enjoy a camping out type of experience.*

Usually we play this game until Sienna gets hungry or she hears the door for Mommy coming home. Last night Mommy was home earlier than usual (or maybe I was later) so I ordered up a pizza. After Sienna devoured her favorite food she ordered up her blanket AND that Mommy joined us.

Despite the sauna-like tendancy the white blanket tent creates Danielle soon came to realize, Sienna LOVES the tent. Absolutely loves it and giggles like a little mad woman. Part of was thrilled that the wife finally joined (was invited by Sienna) while another part of me is saddened that the father-daughter time may have an interloper!

I guess the deciding thought it that Danielle now understands and Sienna and I will always come up with new little games - such as "Daddy--sit--watch" that brings a huge grin to her tiny face, plus the huge grin to MY face as Sienna ordered Mommy "Baby--other baby--spot--monkey" as I sat on the couch with Sienna while Mommy fetched the toys.

Wayne
* This only works with the white comforter, as opposed to the red blanket. This is due to the opaqueness as the red blanket results in a pitch blank tent which Sienna does NOT appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment