Monday, March 26, 2012

I am officially impinged

My career as an amateur wrestler comes back to hinder me at odd times. When I was a High School freshman I weighed a glorious 80 pounds while standing a diminutive 4 foot 6 inches tall. Shockingly enough I was recruited to the wrestling team - recruited as the team needed someone to fill in the 103 pound weight class.

By the time I left high school I was more than a foot taller and was a solid 125 pound chunk of muscle (Danielle just laughed). A large part of my chunk of muscle was due to working out for four years as a wrestler.

Turns out one of the biggest causes - no one is sure of the exact cause (naturally) - of a hip impingement though weight training during growth spurts seems to pop up a lot. Right now I am being treated with physical therapy as this is one of those injuries that you try to live with.

Though initially I wasn't able to sleep at night, broke into various sweats, shivered quite a bit and wondering what the heck was happening. Happily that has ended as my body has adjusted to the actual work involved.

This will not have much a of hindrance for my life. Other than some PT, some pain, and my inability to run win sprints right now.* Though that last part wasn't something that was going to happen anyway.

Wayne

* Danielle may disagree on this point as I was laid up this weekend from the initial problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment