Friday, January 6, 2012

I did that: Messed up Pulled Pork

I tend to celebrate my culinary successes when I write about them here. However, some wise monk-type once stated that you learn more from failure than success. I did happen to learn something from a recent endeavor with my pulled pork.

The two major changes were:
  1. Cooking the pork longer since I didn't enjoy the thicker consistency when I had cook it the last two times

  2. Doubling the amount of red wine vinegar since I had a larger piece of meat. Well, it was a 60% increase. Dumb move really. I saw that it was two high against the meat, yet I still cooked it anyway.
Change one was great as the my pork was fall apart in the fingers tender. Change two...not so good.

Danielle's face scrunched up upon tasty the tender-vinegar laden meat. My wife was polite enough to not spit out the food. Draining the liquid, adding barbeque sauce, slow cooking that; unfortunately there was not a perfect taste saving on this.

Danielle and I ate some of the meat before freezing the rest and promptly ignoring it. This was about a month ago.

I talk about this now as I am making pulled pork for Nerd Day II. You want to know if your meat holds up well? Feed it to hungry gamers. At least I learned something in here: mess something up, try it again; if I mess it up a second time, I quit.

Wayne




*Since it was a wise monk-type I'm not sure how much stock one should take in the particular statement

No comments:

Post a Comment