Monday, February 20, 2012

The Subculture of a Good Series

Games of Thrones has been a best selling series for quite a few years now. I'm not going to look up the information on wikipedia since I'm in the middle of the fifth book and part of my life includes attempts to minimize being exposed to spoilers.

The series is so complex in its own way that when talking with people who have read more of the series you talk in what seems to be a weird code, What just happened in the chapter you're reading? or Who is the last person to die?

It isn't really a spoiler that people die in these books. That is part of the selling point of the book, to me as a fan, at least. Anyone can be offed at any time.

I read the books on the train - and hold it on the elevator at work - and it leaves me open to conversations.

How many times have you read the book?
That question is from a co-worker who was actually repeating the question that was asked to him by a stranger. It is Tolkien all over again (or Harry Potter) as it isn't that you finished a 500+ page book, it is how many times you've read the 500+ page - or in the case of GoT 800+ pages.

I'm impressed you're carrying that. It was too heavy for me so I bought the kindle.
The current book I'm lugging around, Book of Dragons, does weigh a good 8 pounds. I was an English major so I don't find the book that cumbersome, however the masses may disagree. I was surprised when the woman on the elevator made mention of the weight, though when she got off the elevator my friend then turned to me and asked, "Can I borrow that book? That girl was hot."

Yes, hot woman are impressed by nerd strength in this case.

Can I borrow the book?
Three different people have found out I'm reading the book and are interested in borrowing the first book. I've mentioned that the book is 800+ pages of font barely larger than Atlas Shrugged. Yet people are willing to read it because they're heard about it.

It is on TV
This one really messes people up since the first book of Game of Thrones was on HBO. The world had a collective heart attack when a main character was killed off. There was an out cry actually. Somehow the ending of a New York Times best selling book snuck by the popular collective. Actually I picture people who have read a book egging on the viewers to really enjoy the character just for the reaction.

You don't need to watch the show - and people understand
I will not watch the HBO series since I have images of the characters and don't want to ruin it by actors. It happened with Harry Potter so I'm making sure it will not happen with this. What is cool is that people completely understand.

That is rare.

There you have it though. A subculture where strangers talk to you about the book, cute girls are impressed with your muscles, and it bridges the divide between watching and no watching on TV.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment