Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When your parents start making more sense

I wanted to have a lot of Xs on a calendar. The X-method, at least that is what I am calling it, is where you put in a huge X when you write on a particular day though the actual mechanics of it came via a facebook posting and was a tool Seinfeld once used. I started doing it during January, performing quite admirably until I reached vacation.

I've been doing poorly since.

Somehow today is touching into the second week of February with only a few entries to be found. Which is EXACTLY what my father warned me would happen. "Time," he told me, "disappears and it disappears twice as fast as when you have a kid."

I sort of understood what he said since my 20s disappeared into embers of what I expected v what actually happens, my 30s were the phoenix of adventuring disguised as adult adventures, and then Sienna was born.

This will not turn into a lament of how life has changed with my daughter - that is bleeding obvious - or what I don't do now that I did before - a lot of inconsequential actions it turns out.

It turns out that time does disappear. Instead of being disappointed that I haven't written anything in a week I'm going to celebrate the fact that I wrote something at all. Everyone is busy, the world is busy, I am busy.

Here are a list of actions in the last week that I didn't write about since my last February 2nd entry:


  • Worked all a half day, returned supplies for Sienna's birthday party that I had gotten earlier in the week and then got the correct supplies, picked up Sienna from day care, and squeezed in a video game (Friday)

  • Decorated apartment and assisted Danielle with baking (Friday/Saturday)

  • Co-hosted a birthday party with Danielle that had 5 toddler-types and 10 adults. Everything is a semi-blur. (Saturday)

  • Did laundry, cleaned up apartment, Mother-in-law came over as we all enjoyed Sienna's company - Sienna loves cupcakes! - watched Superbowl (Sunday)

  • Went to work, picked up Sienna, made her a great dinner of chicken, blue cheese, and then Danielle gave her jello. I talked with my father for almost an hour(!) while Danielle was at a haircut appointment (Monday)

  • Worked half a day, dealt with an almost crisis involving Sienna's day care that involved me going to Brooklyn's family day care child services place, picked up Sienna, assisted Danielle in making Sienna's food for the week. (Tuesday)

You know what? Busy week. I'll cut myself some slack as I reviewed a friend's script somewhere in there too. Maybe time isn't folding on itself, maybe I'm just a heck of a lot more busy.


Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment