Thursday, June 23, 2011

An Analogy for a Trade: Don't Touch My Pabst!

Right now I am attempting to negotiate a trade in my fantasy baseball league. Since talking specifically about fantasy baseball is right beside watching someone receive a root canal or being a single person hearing about someones child I'll just give you the big details.




  • I am in fourth place


  • The person I am trying to trade with is in last place (11 teams NL only league)


  • I can't really move that far up in pitching


Hmmm, this is boring. I'll flip on my analogy switch here and see if I can make this more interesting.



I am hanging in a bar and I have bought a bunch of cheap beer - I'll say Pabst Blue Ribbon since I love Pabst Blue Ribbon - that I've been sharing with people while I get liquored up; meanwhile my buddy came in and spent a lot of his money on the best beer in the house - a micro brewed Porter developed in the Hills of Atlantis by Siberian Monks in conjunction with the Lost Tribe of Israel.



Rare stuff indeed.



Though I am having a MUCH better time than my buddy. His beer isn't overcoming the horrible outfit he is wearing and my eclectic t-shirt and torn jeans is a hit for some reason. We are regulars at this bar, we'll be back next week actually, and my buddy is considering some new options. Maybe his Porter for some of my Pabst? He can save my Pabst for the next couple of times - though he has the option of buying his Porter again next time. For me the Porter is going to be finished here and now.



Being a nice guy I offer him SOME of my Pabst - the Porter might make some difference to me - after all I've already got people I'm sharing with who might stick around and I wouldn't mind ending the evening with a tastier treat.



My buddy though, not interested until I give him almost all of my beer!



ALMOST ALL OF MY BEER?! It know it is Pabst and didn't cost me a lot but goodness gracious. Actually my buddy isn't being THAT unreasonable. Lots of



Actually I think John Nash covered his in a Beautiful Mind. It is called Game Theory and applies to any situation. Right now my opponent and I are both overvaluing our beers and won't get anything from it. Luckily I am in the point where there is minimal improvement if I end up with his beer - he will eventually get something for his Porter - just not from me.



Why? I checked with Danielle and she told me not to trade too much of my beer away! Always listen to the wife.



Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment