Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Return to Softball & Raising the Stakes

Today. For the first time in over a month I play softball. In 100 degree weather.

The title mentions "raising the stakes" so I guess I should expound on what that means - at least in regard to this issue. Raising the stakes in non-poker parlance- is often associated with writing. That you need to put the character in danger and make the situation worse and worse and worse, and matter more and more and more - really engage the character emotionally to the situation.

Today. For the first time in over a month I play softball. In 100 degree weather. I haven't worked out in a month. My back has been injured. We are playing for first place. I haven't pitched in a year. I am pitching tonight. If we win I can play in the semi-finals playoff game on Tuesday. If we lose I cannot play in the semi-finals playoff game on Wednesday.

Stakes raised. Emotional attachment engaged.

See you on the field.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment