Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Statements I Hate: If You Don't Include...

"If you don't include all of the people in China then Democracy is the most used type of government."

Frank Barberi said that to a group of us in social studies class in High School. I raised my hand and asked what I thought was a logical followup question, Don't we include the people of China since they exist?

In the annals of student v teacher Mr. Barberi won the conversation since he was the man controlling the grades.* I would like to say after class Mr. Barberi put his arm around my shoulder and complimented me on my critical thinking - nope, nothing like that. At least I didn't get detention for questioning authority.

I remember his statement since it is the first time it is a specific example I can recall. It drives me nuts since it appears on tv, in sports broadcasts, reports, and really any other place where people want to ignore a part of data that does not defend the point being made.

I feel like it is only a matter of time before we hear the following statement, "If you discount all the people who don't have jobs, unemployment is really okay."

I insist in all conversations we include all data. I know. Weird, right.

Wayne

* Barberi was the master of the simple observation sometimes. I got into a fight after school and he saw me a couple of hours later in the gym since I wrestled and the teachers played basketball before wrestling practice. "I heard you got in a fight," he told me. "Do I look like I got into a fight?" I replied, with nary a bruise on my body. "You might have actually won," he added. It was a great point. Sometimes the winner doesn't look any worse for wear

No comments:

Post a Comment