Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Day of Solo Parenting

The weather turned against me for my random day of solo parenting with Sienna. Danielle was heading off to a wedding shower - and since my reader(s) is(are) smart you know that means I got to take Sienna out for the day. The original plan was to take her on her first subway ride, first trip to the comic book store, the Union Square farmers' market and her first trip to Chinatown to the fish monger.

Do what you know is my theory. I went as far as to see if my friend Jeff, owner of the comic book store and hell of a human being, would be there on Saturday to meet Sienna. He is among the important people in life Sienna must meet and learn about. He wasn't going to be around, therefore I'll file that under: at least I tried.

Instead the threat of rain moved in and it was audible time. Parenting, so far, has been about adjusting whatever plan you have in mind when it comes to just about everything. The last place I wanted to be was in Manhattan, carrying a stroller up wet steps and looking for shelter. Manhattan is a wonderful place, yet it strikes me as slightly unprepared for dealing with a crying, wet child. Perhaps it was that other the Babies R' Us I couldn't picture anywhere around Union Square that would be baby friendly.

Park Slope on the other hand...perfectly designed for this possibility. With Sienna's diaper bag firmly in place, rain cover at the ready, and a hat to protect my balding head I set off. It was a great walk to Prospect Park - 45 minutes of workout and I haven't exactly been working out lately.

I introduced Sienna to the lovely concept of dumplings from a moving truck. Then a duck proscuitto tasting which resulted in the purchase of some duck bacon* - though I told her it was not cheating on our butcher since he only has pre-package duck bacon and this was fresh from the farm.

Actually I am pretty sure Sienna is going to be convinced that whenever she goes out in the stroller and daddy is driving it means she is getting food since I pick her up from daycare and then go shopping. This farmer's market visit continued as I picked up some cheese, spicy turkey sausage for sauce, and sweet sausage for calzones.

On the way home from the market I introduced her to another on my favorite concepts: chinese food lunch special. It started raining so I jumped into Mr Wong's Chinese restaurant. The waitresses in there LOVED Sienna and as the rain drizzled I fed her while I picked up General Tso's chicken. More than anything it was the relaxed nature of the staff and that they did not blink that there was a child sitting on the table looking around.

And then on the way home...she fell asleep. Good child. She makes me look good sometimes.

There may not have been comics, yet it was still a great day.

Wayne
* The duck bacon and cheese ended up in Danielle's breakfast omelette

No comments:

Post a Comment