Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Day That Makes You Optimistic or Pessimistic

It was 12:30 PM when I realized my keys were among the missing as I left the downtown office.

My face contorted into an angle of, I don't want to have to deal with this, and I texted Danielle. That morning Danielle had locked the doors behind me as I left the house and even though I was 99 percent positive I had my keys when I left I had to perform my due diligence.

By the time I got to the uptown office Danielle had left me a text and phone call - she had locked the door behind me though she had no seen my keys.

The issue was growing a little larger as I was scheduled to pick up Sienna at 5:30 and Danielle was scheduled to work late. I gave Danielle a call and in a worse case scenario we figured I found venture out to her work place - only an hour trip round way - and get the keys.

She added, "We're going to have to change the locks too since your keys have the New York Sports Club thing where someone could go in and find your address."

I pseudo-scoffed. I call it a pseudo-scoff when you know the other person is correct, yet you still want to disbelieve the information. The pseudo-scoff is a useful weapon in situations dealing with bills, dating, and college grades. I was going with the theory that it would take a lot of effort to figure out where I lived using a NYSC vob. Okay, maybe not. Still, who would go into the NYSC with a vob and a story?

Half an hour later the New York Sports Club called me. A good Samaritan had found my keys, saw the vob, and walked the keys to the New York Sports Club.

Society wins again! No attempt at thievery - though I made a strong mental note how easy it could be (never doubt the wife). I called Danielle to let her know all was well with the keys, that our child would be picked up on time and she should enjoy her day.

It was 5:39 PM - in the midst of running Sienna's bath water - when credit card fraud services contacted me to tell me that someone had used my credit card number for an unauthorized purchase and I would need to cut up my card.

Well, at least I have my keys.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment