Friday, June 10, 2011

Top Food Items I Like to Grill

Since the summer has show up I thought a completely arbitrary list of food I like to grill is in order. This list will be useful for Sienna later in life when she tries to identify why she hates grilled food. The reason is that my grill is located on a balcony outside her window and the door to said balcony is in her room. Yes when my daughter sleeps I still grill.

In no order.



  1. Grilled vegetables. Danielle makes it with zucchini, eggplant, and whatever else looks the freshest at the K&Y Supermarket by our apartment

  2. Skirt steak. I like it best when I throw some Magic Dust dry rub on it, couple of minutes on each side, throw it on some Mazzola bread and eat. When I want to get "fancy" I add mozzarella and caramelized onions.

  3. New York Strip. A little salt, a little pepper, and some high heat. It just works.

  4. Jumbo sized Shrimp wrapped in bacon. Either marinated or sprinkled with dry rub. Thrown onto skewers and than flash cooked. The trick with the bacon is to actually pre-cook it a little bit. It makes the wrap a lot easier.

  5. Marinated Porkchop. Our butcher does a marinade involving garlic, paprika, and a million other spices that works perfectly and is the ONLY meat I ever buy pre-marinated.

  6. Flank steak stuffed with fontina cheese and prosciutto. This involves an overnight preparation for the flank involving balsamic vinegar and shallots. We have used this to impress guests before - which is interesting since we change how we make it every time.

  7. Lobster Tails & Claws. Danielle doesn't like lobster as much as I do so I don't make this often. It is an old crowd favorite for myself.

  8. Hamburger. I used to make my own turkey burgers then my butcher introduced me to his short rib/chuck mix. I love my butcher. We have experimented with a bunch of cheeses for our burgers. Somehow it always comes down to cheddar or blue cheese.

  9. Venison Sausage. Only when my friends John and Jenni come visit from Massachusetts. She is from Wisconsin and approves of the deliciousness of venison. John is just a smart man who listens to his wife.

  10. Chicken sausage pinwheel & turkey pinwheel. We buy them together, cook them together, then cut them up and serve as an appetizer or side dish. It is crazy how nuts everyone goes for these. We actually did a gnosh dish involving pinwheels and then some venison and rabbit sausage on the side. It was a beautiful thing.
There you have it. I won't stop grilling & I can't wait to share some of this food with Sienna - that is if she doesn't hate the smell of it by the time she gets teeth.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment