Friday, June 3, 2011

Disappearing Webseries & Looking Back On It

My webseries I'm Sorry Melissa just disappeared from koldcast.tv. Bastiches. In koldcast's defense there had not been an episode since 2008 and...hold on there hasn't been episode since 2008? Really. 2008? That was three freakin' years ago.

No wonder they took it down. I would have taken it down too. Though I DID give them 30 episodes. The series also appeared in some of the finest hotel rooms in the United States and also on Sprint.

The webseries was really a lark - in my life my larks have worked out far better than my carefully planned non-larks- where, at the time, I just had not shot anything in a while. So I wrote and filmed and played around with some concepts I had.

I was experimenting with sequential filming and audience participation where I would not tell anyone what was happening next and would let the audience decide what would happen. I wanted to create a series that incorporated real stories, yet looked like a reality show. I wanted it to be cost effective.

It was a cross between a social experiment before social experiments were cool, audience interaction before audience interaction was cool, and inexpensive filmmaking when...well inexpensive filmmaking was always the in thing.

I got to hang out with my best friend Mark, my always entertaining friend Snow, listen to Ben the cameraman talk about the world and work with the super talented Annie Figenshu. I can't even explain Carly, Ramesh, or Erin - you really have to watch the series to see what those crazy kids pulled off. I won't tell what parts of the series were autobiographical and what parts were not. That isn't really the point.

Interestingly enough the show got into a the New York Television Festival in '07 in the reality category. I consider it job well done, as who really set out to do a webseries that ends up as a 23 minute pilot. Hearing the laughs during the festival was gratifying.

Yes, the series continued online, back in its native format of "web series." Interestingly enough it was never supposed to be a straight up comedy and I think that was confusing for some people in a world where lighting someone on fire or showing a groin kick gets the most hits.

I just wanted to tell stories and try different stuff online. There is no moral to this particular story. Other than if I wanted it to continue I could have kept filming. The show did prove to be a kicking off point for recording the Jets Hope as I continue to be fascinated about why people do that they do. I do the sports podcast now asking a varient of the "why" question - and most of the time the answer is "why not?" which is what I really appreciate on some level.

Why did I film what I filmed? Why not.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment